Each guest must familiarize themselves with the terms and conditions and the information on our website. By submitting, deposit, or payment, you agree to be bound by the terms and conditions below:
In this document, “Ski Touring” includes all forms of ski touring and splitboarding, telemark skiing. In this policy, Avalanche Education includes all courses run by Kootenay Backcountry Guides.
Kootenay Backcountry Guides, (Kootenay Backcountry Guides, “we” and “us”) is the provider of all ski touring trips, multi-day ski touring trips, hut trips, avalanche education courses, and services described in our marketing materials and in our booking confirmation packages.
Kootenay Backcountry Guides offers these programs: Day Ski Touring Programs, Lodge Based Ski Touring Programs including Lodge Based AST courses, and Avalanche Education Courses, Remote Base Camp Touring Programs.
2 Guest Responsibilities
You are solely responsible for ensuring:
- you and members of your group have fully and accurately completed our registration form;
- you have a valid passport and all required visas to enter Canada;
- you are on time and prepared to ski on each day, regardless of the weather or road conditions;
- you are healthy and not experiencing symptoms of any illness on each skiing day;
- you are able to ski at a level as defined is the baseline for each program;
- you are physically fit and prepared to ski for a whole day;
- your physical fitness and skiing ability match that of what is outlined in the course or trip description. If you are in a mixed group and can not complete the day tour, you are not entitled to a refund.
- you show up with all gear in working order, ready for your trip or course.
3 Kootenay Backcountry Guides Responsibilities.
As part of the price set out in the booking confirmation, we will provide:
- a professionally certified ski touring guide for our guided programs and avalanche education instructors for our courses;
- avalanche training
- a booking confirmation package that outlines your typical day, where and when to meet, and what to bring
- Pre-trip and course planning and logistics.
4 Registration and Payment for Ski Touring Trips and Lodge-Based Trips and Courses.
- your booking is not confirmed until a completed registration form and payment or deposit are received from each guest in your group.
- at the time of booking a trip with us, you must pay a deposit equal to 50% of the booking price, plus applicable taxes (the “Deposit”). Except as otherwise provided in these terms, the deposit is strictly non-refundable once paid.
- your credit card will be automatically processed 45 days prior to the first day of your trip for any owing balances.
- If you book within 45-days of your trip, payment in full is required at the time of booking. Except as otherwise provided in these terms, all payments are strictly non-refundable once paid.
5 Avalanche Education Course Registration and Payment.
- your booking is not confirmed until a completed registration form and deposit are received.
- at the time of booking a trip with us, you must make the full payment of the booking price, plus applicable taxes (the “Deposit”). Except as otherwise provided in these terms, the Deposit is strictly non-refundable once paid.
- all payments shall be in Canadian dollars (CAD). A 5% Goods and Services Tax will be applied to each booking and is not included in any listed package prices.
6 Refund and Cancellation Policy
- Ski Touring and Avalanche Education is a unique experience that is subject to weather and snowpack conditions. These conditions are constantly changing and add an element of complexity to each day. We reserve the right to cancel a ski touring day, course, or trip, in part or in whole, for any reason, including inclement weather, avalanche conditions, operational emergencies, lack of guides or instructors, pandemics, or insufficient guest bookings.
- Except as provided in these terms and conditions, Kootenay Backcountry Guides will not provide you with a refund or compensation for any expenses related to your booking or trip to anywhere we operate, including airfare, car rentals, and accommodations. Kootenay Backcountry Guides strongly recommends that you purchase trip cancellation insurance (https://lifestylefinancial.ca/get-a-quote/kootenay-backcountry-guides/)
- While we try our best to group skiers and boarders in our courses and mixed groups by ability level, no refunds shall be provided if your group skis or travels at a greater or lesser ability than you.
- For private guided trips you are responsible to ensure that the members of your group are of enough ability to complete their touring day.
- Any refunds made at the time of the refund will be refunded in Canadian Dollars via your original payment method. No adjustments will be made to the refund to account for differences in the exchange rate between the time payment was made and the refund was issued.
- Full cancellation by Kootenay Backcountry Guides prior to the start of your trip or course. We may cancel your booking at any time prior to the scheduled start time. If we do, you will be given the opportunity to reschedule to a later date or course in the same season. If a mutually agreeable date cannot be scheduled that season, we will provide you with a full credit towards a trip or course equal to the value of your trip with Kootenay Backcountry Guides.
- In the event, you do not want a credit we will give you a refund equal to the cost of the trip minus a 25% administration fee.
- If you arrive late, forget your equipment, have equipment issues, injure yourself, decide to end your day early for whatever reason, or are instructed to stop skiing because we (in our sole discretion) determine that you are not physically fit or able, no refund will be provided.
7 Guest Cancellation.
- Guided Tours and Lodge Based Avalanche Safety Training: greater than 60 days from the start date of your tour your deposit will be refunded minus 25% administrative fee. 60 - 45 days you forfeit your full deposit to Kootenay Backcountry Guides. If you are unable to attend a trip and notify us 45 days or less prior to the start of the trip, Kootenay Backcountry Guides has the right to keep full payment. Credits may be issued for future tour dates at your discretion, however, this is subject to availability. For example, if you notify Kootenay Backcountry guides by email 60 days or less before the first day of the tour, a credit may be applied for a future date subject to guiding/lodge availability. If you are unable to attend a trip and you are able to fill your spot(s) with a substitute, we encourage you to do that.
- Avalanche Safety Training and Courses: greater than 30 days prior to the start date of your course you will be refunded in full less 25% non-refundable deposit. 30 days or less prior to the first day of the course the full course amount will be forfeited, Kootenay Backcountry Guides has the right to keep the full payment. Credits may be issued for future course dates for an administrative fee of $100, however, this is subject to availability. For example, if you notify Kootenay Backcountry guides by email 30 days or less before the first day of the course, a credit may be applied for a future date subject to registration availability, and you (the customer) will be charged a $100 administrative fee. If you are unable to attend a course and you are able to fill your spot(s) with a substitute, we encourage you to do that.
- If you have a private group booked (guiding or courses) a group leader will be responsible for confirming the total number of participants and payment. The same cancelation dates as above (7.a) and (7.b) apply to private bookings. Private group bookings payment will be collected from the group leader. It is the group leader’s responsibility to collect individual payments from members of their group. If one of the group members decides to cancel they are not entitled to a refund. We do this to protect your booking. For example, if you book a private group of 5 participants, the group leader will submit a deposit and payment based on 5 participants. If one of the participants backs out, they are not entitled to a refund and either forfeit their payment or find a substitute to take their place. The group leader is responsible for collecting and refunding participants. Kootenay Backcountry Guides will not intervene on behalf of the group leader.
- In light of the refund and cancellation policies set out above, trip cancellation insurance is strongly recommended to cover for unforeseen circumstances that may interrupt or cancel your trip or course with us. We do not provide such insurance but will provide you with recommended providers. Follow this link for a quote https://lifestylefinancial.ca/get-a-quote/kootenay-backcountry-guides/
- Kootenay Backcountry Guides strongly recommend you purchase your own medical travel insurance to ensure complete coverage during your trip.
Minors (under 19 years of age) are welcome to participate in our programs on the following terms:
- Minor guests are permitted only as part of a group that includes a legal guardian and with at least one guardian per minor;
- Minors must be at least 12 years old and capable of meeting the ability and fitness levels described in the “fitness and skills” section.
- The minor’s legal guardian must sign a waiver on behalf of the minor prior to participation, and the minor must sign a waiver dated for the day they turn 19.
- The minor’s legal guardian must accompany the minor at all times during our activities.
10 Image Release
You grant us permission to use images of you (including any motion picture or still photographs made by us) for any purposes in connection with promoting Kootenay Backcountry Guides and its activities. You understand that your personal information, including images, is being collected pursuant to section 26 of the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act, R.S.B.C. 1996, c. 165.
11 COVID-19 Cancellations
The following refund policy will apply if Kootenay Backcountry Guides cancels your booking because of reasons related to COVID-19, or if you are prevented from completing your booking because of a reason related to COVID-19 that are outside of your control, including travel issues, closed borders, and local outbreaks. In such case:
- If Kootenay Backcountry Guides must cancel, we will notify you as soon as possible via the email address you provided at the time of booking;
- your deposit or final bill will be held by Kootenay Backcountry Guides credited to a booking at Kootenay Backcountry Guides for a later date.
- If you wish to have a refund instead of a credit towards a future trip we will provide a refund minus an administration fee of 25%.
12 Communicable Disease Plan
All guests are required to read, understand and accept Kootenay Backcountry Guides Communicable Disease Plan.
All guests participating in Lodge, Basecamp, or Traverse guided tours must be fully vaccinated and may be required to take a rapid test before the tour.
This refund policy, if enacted, will supersede any other refund and cancellation policy in these terms and conditions.