Each guest must familiarize themselves with the terms and conditions and the information on our website. By submitting, deposit, or payment, you agree to be bound by the terms and conditions below:
In this document, “Ski Touring” includes all forms of ski touring and splitboarding, telemark skiing. In this policy, Avalanche Education includes all courses run by Kootenay Backcountry Guides. Kootenay Backcountry Guides, (Kootenay Backcountry Guides, “we” and “us”) is the provider of all ski touring trips, multi-day ski touring trips, hut trips, avalanche education courses, and services described in our marketing materials and in our booking confirmation packages.
Kootenay Backcountry Guides offers these programs: Backcountry 101 Courses, Lodge Based Ski Touring Programs including Lodge Based AST courses, and Avalanche Education Courses, Remote Base Camp Touring, and Guided Traverse Programs.
2 Guest Responsibilities
You are solely responsible for ensuring:
- you and members of your group have fully and accurately completed our registration form;
- you have a valid passport and all required visas to enter Canada;
- you are on time and prepared to ski on each day, regardless of the weather or road conditions;
- you are healthy and not experiencing symptoms of any illness on each skiing day. If you arrive sick on your scheduled activity date you will not be able to participate and will not receive a credit/refund;
- you are able to ski at a level as defined is the baseline for each program;
- you are physically fit and prepared to ski for a whole day;
- your physical fitness and skiing ability match that of what is outlined in the course or trip description. If you are in a mixed group and can not complete the day tour, you are not entitled to a refund.
- you show up with all gear in working order, ready for your trip or course.
3 Kootenay Backcountry Guides Responsibilities.
As part of the price set out in the booking confirmation, we will provide:
- a professionally certified ski touring guide for our guided programs and avalanche education instructors for our courses;
- avalanche skills and safety training
- a booking confirmation package that outlines your typical day, where and when to meet, and what gear and equipment you must bring
- pre-trip and course planning and logistics.
4 Registration and Payment for Ski Touring Trips and Lodge-Based Trips and Lodge-Based Courses.
- your booking is not confirmed until a completed registration form and payment or deposit are received from each guest in your group.
- at the time of booking a trip with us, you must pay a deposit equal to 50% of the booking price, plus applicable taxes (the “Deposit”). Except as otherwise provided in these terms, the deposit is strictly non-refundable once paid.
- your credit card will be automatically processed on the date final payment is due. Some trips and courses have a due date 45 days before the date of the trip. Some trips have a set due date.
- if you book within 45-days of your trip, payment in full is required at the time of booking. Except as otherwise provided in these terms, all payments are strictly non-refundable once paid.
- all payments shall be in Canadian dollars (CAD). A 5% Goods and Services Tax will be applied to each booking and is not included in any listed package prices. Mastercard, Visa, Discover, Bank transfer via email (must have a Canadian bank account): firstname.lastname@example.org, Cash (conditions apply)
- there may be additional fees or price increases that the lodges could impose on us. Guests who have secured their spot by paying a deposit or full payment can either pay the increased amount or can request a refund less the deposit (4.b).
5 Avalanche Education Course Registration and Payment.
- your booking is not confirmed until a completed registration form and deposit are received.
- at the time of booking a trip with us, you must make the full payment of the booking price, plus applicable taxes (the “Deposit”). Except as otherwise provided in these terms, the Deposit is strictly non-refundable once paid.
- all payments shall be in Canadian dollars (CAD). A 5% Goods and Services Tax will be applied to each booking and is not included in any listed package prices.
- Kootenay Backcountry Guides accepts the following payment methods: Mastercard, Visa, Discover, Bank transfer via email to (must have a Canadian bank account): email@example.com, Cash* (*conditions apply)
6 Refund and Cancellation Policy
- Ski Touring and Avalanche Education is a unique experience that is subject to weather and snowpack conditions. These conditions are constantly changing and add an element of complexity to each day. We reserve the right to cancel a ski touring day, course, or trip, in part or in whole, for any reason, including inclement weather, avalanche conditions, operational emergencies, lack of guides or instructors, or pandemics, or insufficient guest bookings.
- Except as provided in these terms and conditions, Kootenay Backcountry Guides will not provide you with a refund or compensation for any expenses related to your booking or trip to anywhere we operate, including airfare, car rentals, and accommodations.
- Kootenay Backcountry Guides strongly recommends that you purchase trip cancellation insurance (https://lifestylefinancial.ca/get-a-quote/kootenay-backcountry-guides/). By purchasing trip cancelation insurance you will be able to receive a refund (amount depends on your coverage).
- While we try our best to group skiers and boarders in our courses and mixed groups by ability level, no refunds shall be provided if your group skis or travels at a greater or lesser ability than you.
- For private guided trips you are responsible to ensure that the members of your group are of enough ability to complete their touring day.
- Any refunds made at the time of the refund will be refunded in Canadian Dollars via your original payment method. No adjustments will be made to the refund to account for differences in the exchange rate between the time payment was made and the refund was issued.
- Full cancellation by Kootenay Backcountry Guides prior to the start of your trip or course. We may cancel your booking at any time prior to the scheduled start time. If we do, you will be given the opportunity to reschedule to a later date or course in the same season.
- If a mutually agreeable date cannot be scheduled that season, we will provide you with a full credit towards a trip or course equal to the value of your trip with Kootenay Backcountry Guides.
- In the event, you do not want a credit we will give you a refund equal to the cost of the trip minus a 25% administration fee based on the total value of your activity.
- If you arrive late, forget your equipment, have equipment issues, vehicle issues, challenging road conditions, injure yourself, decide to end your day early for whatever reason, or are instructed to stop skiing because we (in our sole discretion) determine that you are not physically fit or able, no refund will be provided.
7 Guest Cancellation.
If you wish to cancel your booking, you must notify us in writing by email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Your cancellation is only effective at the time we confirm the cancellation in writing to you.
A. Lodge Trips, Traverses, Basecamps, and Lodge Based Avalanche Safety Training
- If you cancel your spot on a lodge/traverse/basecamp trip you must notify Kootenay Backcountry Guides in writing. If past the deposit date you will not be refunded and will forfeit the deposit/spot.
- Lifestyle Financial and Capri CMW offers excellent trip cancellation insurance that covers a wide variety of cancellation reasons. In light of this, we do not offer refunds or credits for any Guided Tours or Lodge Based AST courses. Please see section 8.
- If you cancel your booking, you cannot replace yourself with someone else. Kootenay Backcountry Guides will then be responsible for sourcing a replacement for your trip, as we need to ensure group compatibility (experience, ski/ride skills, fitness levels, ect). Kootenay Backcountry Guides reserves the right to re-sell your spot.
- If you have a suitable replacement for yourself (or group member) you must notify Kootenay Backcountry Guides so we can ensure they are a good fit. This requires a $150 admin fee per person.
B. Avalanche Safety Training and Courses:
- Lifestyle Financial and Capri CMW offers excellent trip cancellation insurance that covers a wide variety of cancellation reasons. In light of this, we do not offer refunds for AST and Backcountry 101 courses. (See section 8)
- Kootenay Backcountry Guides does not offer refunds on any courses (AST or Backcountry 101). Participants are responsible for managing their own schedules and are expected to keep their original booking date.
- If participants request to switch to another course date this is considered a cancelation and you forfeit your original payment. You will not be refunded for your original course date and must register and pay for the new course date.
- If you request to switch to another course date or cancel and you source a replacement for yourself, you must notify Kootenay Backcountry Guides. If you switch to another date, but have a replacement, you will be charged a $100 admin fee. And if you cancel, but have a replacement, you will be issued a credit, less a $100 admin fee, that expires within a year. No refunds will be given (C.a).
C. Private Course/Private Guided Tour Group Cancellations:
- The same cancellation policies as above (7.a) apply to private bookings. If you cancel your booking, you forfeit your deposit/final payment.
- If you have a private group booked (guiding or courses) a group leader will be responsible for confirming the total number of participants and payment.
- For example, if you book a private group of 5 participants, the group leader will submit a deposit and payment based on 5 participants. If one of the participants backs out, they are not entitled to a refund and either forfeit their payment or find a substitute to take their place.
- Private group bookings payment will be collected from the group leader. It is the group leader’s responsibility to collect individual payments from members of their group.
- If one of the group members decides to cancel they are not entitled to a refund or credit. We do this to protect your booking.
- If you have a suitable replacement for yourself (or group member) you must notify Kootenay Backcountry Guides. This requires a $100 admin fee per person.
- The group leader is responsible for collecting and refunding participants. Kootenay Backcountry Guides will not intervene on behalf of the group leader.
- All individuals of group bookings are able to purchase trip cancellation insurance to protect their purchase. (See section 8 Insurance)
In light of the refund and cancellation policies set out above, trip cancellation insurance is strongly recommended to cover you for unforeseen circumstances that may interrupt or cancel your trip or course with us. We do not provide such insurance but have provided you with a recommended provider. Follow this link for a quote https://lifestylefinancial.ca/get-a-quote/kootenay-backcountry-guides/
- medical and rescue costs may not be covered by the BC government. We recommend that all participants from out of province or country purchase their own medical travel, and rescue insurance to ensure complete coverage during your trip. Lifestyle Finanical also provides this coverage.
- Kootenay Backcountry Guides will not be responsible for any personal costs associated with an accident on any of our courses or tours.
Minors (18 years of age and younger) are welcome to participate in our programs on the following terms:
- Minor guests are permitted only as part of a group that includes a legal guardian and with at least one guardian per minor;
- Minors must be at least 12 years old and capable of meeting the ability and fitness levels described in the “fitness and skills” section.
- The minor’s legal guardian must sign a waiver on behalf of the minor prior to participation, and the minor must sign a waiver dated for the day they turn 19.
- The minor’s legal guardian must accompany the minor at all times during our activities.
10 Image Release
You grant us permission to use images of you (including any motion picture or still photographs made by us) for any purposes in connection with promoting Kootenay Backcountry Guides and its activities. You understand that your personal information, including images, is being collected pursuant to section 26 of the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act, R.S.B.C. 1996, c. 165.