Welcome back to the world of avalanche safety! If you’ve completed your AST 1 course and are eager to bolster your skills, our AST 1 Refresher Course is tailored just for you. This one-day field experience combines hands-on practice and online learning to ensure you’re equipped with the latest avalanche safety knowledge and techniques.
- Hands-On Field Course: Immerse yourself in a full day of practical learning led by experienced instructors. Refresh your avalanche safety skills, practice rescue techniques, and enhance your ability to make informed decisions in the backcountry.
- Comprehensive Online Learning: Gain access to our renowned online learning platform, thoughtfully curated by Judson Wright. This platform covers the entire AST 1 curriculum, allowing you to focus on specific lessons that you wish to review.
- Flexible Learning: Our AST 1 Refresher Course offers flexibility. Work through the online material at your own pace before and after the field day. You’ll have continued access to the content to ensure you absorb the material thoroughly.
- Skill Enhancement: Beyond refreshing your knowledge, the AST 1 Refresher Course is an opportunity to refine your skills, gain fresh perspectives, and strengthen your foundation of avalanche safety know-how.
- Field Trip Planning: Develop the skills to plan safe and successful backcountry trips, considering factors like terrain, weather, and group dynamics.
- Understanding the Avalanche Bulletin: Interpret and analyze the avalanche bulletin to make informed decisions about current avalanche conditions.
- Companion Rescue Skills: Hone your skills in companion rescue techniques, ensuring you’re prepared to respond effectively in the event of an avalanche incident.
- Avalanche Formation and Release: Deepen your understanding of how avalanches form and release, empowering you to identify potential hazards.
- Avalanche Terrain Recognition and Management: Learn how to recognize avalanche-prone terrain and make informed decisions to manage risk.
- Mountain Weather: Gain insights into mountain weather patterns and their impact on avalanche conditions and backcountry travel.
Fitness & Skill Requirements:
Arctic Foxes might be new to ski touring/splitboarding but are not new to skiing and snowboarding. They are confident on a blue square in bounds and can ride the occasional black diamond but take their time. Arctic Foxes are welcome on AST-1 courses, Backcountry 101 courses and Private Guided Tours.
If booking or joining a private guided tour with other participants, Arctic Foxes should inform their group of their skills, so the rest of the group is aware of their preferences. If you are below the Arctic Fox level, you should be booking a Private Guided Tour or our Ski/Splitboarding 101 course
Arctic Fox is new to ski touring; they are looking for a mellow day or unsure of how much vertical they can do in a day. However, they can confidently hike 6km (4 Miles) with a pack.
If you are not confident you are at the Arctic Fox level, you should consider booking a Private Guided Tour or our Ski/Splitboarding 101 course, where we can cater to your speed.
Dates & Costs:
AST 1 Refresher Courses will be held at Kootenay Pass.
One full 8-hour day of field-based instruction with our fun and professional guides.
Our 5 Rules to Stay Safe in Avalanche Terrain and gear checklist card.
Self-paced online primer (no mandatory zoom meetings or classroom lectures) PLUS you'll have the material forever
Booking & Cancelation Policy:
- January 6, 2024
- contact us for private group courses, dates, and pricing